Somehow I have a teenager! I seem to have blinked and suddenly she has grown up. It honestly feels like only a few years since I was that age and teenage girls encounter so many problems during the journey from child to young woman; and some of these problems affect physical health.
In addition, the mental health of a teenage girl can be an emotional roller coaster, causing confusion, depression and anger (even without social media pressures)
Essential oils in aromatherapy use can often help to control or eliminate some of the difficulties a teenage girl endures during this period of her life.
Essential Oils for Hormonal Problems in Teenage Girls
Teenage girls have to deal with the onset of menstruation, acne and changing body shape; consequently, the hormones of a teenage girl are often up and down. Hormonal problems in teenage girls can be alleviated by the use of the following essential oils:
- Frankincense (Boswellia carteri) and cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica), particularly for menstruation difficulties
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), which can have calming effects
- Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), which can have calming effects
Essential Oils for Teenage Hair Care
Teenage girls may experience greasy hair, which leads to frequent shampooing. Essential oils can be added to both a shampoo and hair conditioner base to help alleviate some of the problems of teenage hair care for girls; suitable essential oils include:
- Clary sage (Salvia sclarea), which has regenerative properties
- Juniper (Juniperus communis), which is good for greasy hair
- Lemon (Citrus limon), an astringent and anti-bacterial essential oil
- Ylang ylang (Cananga odorata), a hair tonic.
Essential Oils for Skin Care in Teenage Girls
Teenage girls suffer from many skin problems, which in turn leads to stress and anxiety; hormonal problems cause some skin problems in teenage girls, but diet can also play a part too. Teenage acne, cysts and blackheads are common problems of teenage skin; suitable essential oils for treating teenage skin include:
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), which is a healing essential oil
- Lemon (citrus limon), which is both an astringent and anti-bacterial essential oil
- Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium var amara), which hasanti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties
- Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica), which is an antiseptic and stimulating essential oil
- Roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile), which is good for acne.
- Teenage Girls and the Use of Essential Oils for Stress and Depression
Stress and depression can affect teenage girls for a number of reasons; exam worries, hormonal imbalances, a developing body and family difficulties affect many teenage girls. Essential oils which are useful in treating stress and depression in teenage girls include:
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) for hormonal imbalances and depression
- Lemon (Citrus limon), which can have calming effects
- Petitgrain (Citrus aurantium var amara), which can have balancing effects
- Clary sage (Salvia sclarea), which can have calming effects
- Basil (Ocimum basilicum), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)and lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) combined, which may help with exam stress.
Aromatherapy for Teenage Girls
There are many essential oils which can be used to treat the problems of teenage girls; essential oils which possess similar properties as those above can also be used. However, if unfamiliar in the use of essential oils in aromatherapy, consult a qualified and experienced aromatherapist for advice relating to individual circumstances. Essential oils used correctly are a good aid for the problems teenage girls face.
I just need someone else to tell my daughter, as she obviously doesn't think I am cool enough to make recommendations any more!